Friday, July 17, 2009

Chapter Three - Trial Run

Andrew, my dad, Melina and I were all piled into the one family car that we have. It is still a rental car might I add. We are on our way to my audition. I needed Andrew there for mental support and I decided to make it up to Melina. Since I didn’t really tell her about my audition, I decided to take her to it.

Lina and I sat up in my room for about two hours trying to decide what I should wear. I ended up picking a black tank top and camouflage cargo short shorts with black dance shoes. I put my shoulder length brown hair into pigtails and curled them. Then I completed the outfit with a camo hat.

“Are you excited?” my father turned around and asked me when we were stopped at a red light about five minutes away from the studio. As much as I didn’t want to admit it, this audition meant a lot to me. I might not want to work with Miley but I still want the part. I don’t want a bad reputation by bombing my first audition.

“Omg!!” Andrew mocked. “I can’t wait to meet Miley!” He was talking in a high pitched girly voice. Lina tried to cover up the laughter she was holding back but I just rolled my eyes. “Hi, I’m Melissa and I’m going to be come best friends with Miley!” he continued.

“I don’t talk like that,” I muttered and everyone in the car started to laugh.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Can we have all the dancers over here please?” the woman leading the auditions called. I hugged Melina and smiled at Andrew and my dad before walking off in the same direction that all the other girls were walking.

“Good luck, little sis!” Andrew yelled after me. I turned around to glare at him. He was 5 minutes older than me and never let me forget it. Instead of retaliating, I continued walking toward the woman that called all the dancers over.

She took all 30 of the girls trying out into a back room and showed us the routine we would be auditioning with. Once we learned it step by step, we got paired off and told to work with our partners and help each other perfect the routine.

“Who are you? GI Jane?” my partner rudely questioned when she appeared in front of me, glaring at me with her emerald green eyes. Obviously she didn’t approve of my outfit. Who on earth does she think she is?

“You shouldn’t be talking, Thumbelina,” I retorted. She had to be 5’2 or 5’3. I’m 5’5 and I thought I was short. She scoffed and started to walk away but I grabbed her arm before she could get too far.

“Get off of me!” she exclaimed. It was clear that she thought she was some sort of princess and everyone should worship the ground she walks on. Boy was she in for a rude awakening. She tried to snap her arm away from me but I was stronger than her so I of course won.

“We have to start practicing, Miss Center of the Universe,” I told her.

“Not until you unhand me!”

“As you wish, Princess Stuck-up.” I let go of her arm and she still viciously snatched it away from me. Attitude much?

“That’s Princess Christina to you,” she scoffed once again, brushed her hands through her jet black hair so it was back in perfect place, and began to walk away. “C’mon…you,” she instructed me without even turning around to look at me. “We have to go someplace a little more private before I share my genius skills with you.”

I rolled my eyes and ran to catch up with her. The video we were auditioning for only needed four back up dancers and the deal with the partners was that either both of you made it or neither of you did. I figured I should at least try to get along with Christina – the little snot that she is – because I might have to spend the next week or so working with her.

“I’m Melissa by the way.”

“Like I care.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Christina and I got to practice for about an hour because we were the last pair to be called into the audition room. I must say that we had the routine down pretty well, I was actually confident about it.

But we did have to battle through a lot of insulting before we could get anywhere in the routine. First, Christina would rudely tell me I was doing the move wrong and call me incompetent. Which caused me to call her an ill-mannered witch. Then, she would just glare at me and refuse to start practicing again until I apologized; which of course I did.

“That was really great, girls!” the women coordinating the audition exclaimed once we finished performing it for her and the other people judging us.

“Oh, I know,” Christina mumbled to herself while she roller her eyes. Thank god it wasn’t loud enough for anyone else but me to hear it. I elbowed her in the arm her head snapped up to glare at me.

“Thank you, we worked really hard on it,” I told everyone in the room. Christina just rolled her eyes again. Boy was this attitude getting annoying. I elbowed her arm for the second time, this time a little harder.

“Yeah, thanks,” she scoffed and put on the fakest smile I have ever seen.

“I think you girls have a very good chance of making it here,” the coordinated announced and Christina’s smile became a little less fake and her eyes started to brighten. “We all still need to discuss this and you girls will find out if you made it in the morning.” Christina and I both thanked everyone in the room for the last time – Christina was surprisingly genuine – before walking out of the room to meet the people we had come with.

“Did we beast that or what?” I joked with a huge smile once the door to the audition room clicked shut.

“Well…I know I did,” she replied before scurrying off in front of me to join her mother. I was so done trying to be nice to her. I heard Andrew yell my name on the other side of the room and I ran towards him to give him a hug.

“How did it go?” he asked when he let go of me.

“It actually went shockingly well,” I told him then hugged Melina who hugged back ever so tight. “The coordinator told me that Christina and I basically got the spot.”

“Christina?” Andrew questioned.

“I don’t want to talk about her,” I sneered. He could instantly tell that I didn’t like her. “Witch,” I mouthed to Melina and she tried to hold back her laughter.

“Let’s go home,” my dad announced and we all started to walk outside toward the car. I flung my right arm over my brother’s shoulder and my left arm over Melina’s. They made the horrible afternoon I had with Christina so much better by just being here for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment