Friday, July 17, 2009

Chapter Two - Meet the Devonport's

I couldn't believe it. We were actually in LA. And hour house was basically all set up for us by the time we got there. Thank god for movers. My brother and I were in this huge recreational basement playing Guitar Hero on a TV that was the size of the wall. Dad told us that he bought it for the family as a moving in present. I don't think it could have gotten any better.

My mom opened up the door to the basement yelling at us to come upstairs and meet out new neighbors. I guess some home-maker lady came to our door trying to greet us into the neighborhood, carrying a dish full of homemade cookies. My brother and I slowly made out way upstairs, not wanting to leave the comfort of our new favorite room.

"Melissa, Andrew come meet the Devonport's," our mother instructed us when we finally entered the living room. To our surprise, they weren’t old at all. They were about the same age as my parents. Maybe even younger. They had a daughter that looked to be my age.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Devonport,” I stated and stuck out my hand to shake theirs. “I’m Melissa and this is my brother Andrew.” They smiled in a very lovingly even though they had just met us.

“You can call me Isabelle. This is my husband Paul and my daughter Melina,” Mrs. Devonport introduced herself and the rest of her family.

“Hey! Our names kind of match,” I said happily to Melina. She smile and nodded happily. She seemed really shy so I decided to open up to her. I needed a friend, seeing as I don’t know anyone here in LA. “You wanna come play Guitar Hero with me and my brother?” I asked her nicely with a friendly smile.

“Sure,” she replied very excitedly and the three of us ran off in the direction of the basement.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Melina and I clicked instantly. Sure she was shy at first but once I broke through that barrier, we became really close friends. Before I knew it, I was only in LA for a week and Melina and I were already having sleepovers and spending almost every minute of everyday together.

Andrew and Melina didn’t get along that well at first. I think he was just mad that I had a friend and he didn’t. He didn’t expect either of us to make friends so fast; he was planning on spending the first week or so with just me. A little brother sister bonding. But I became friends with Melina our first full day in LA and kinda left my brother in the dust. He became friends with a boy name Grant Dillon from down the street and now he likes Melina more.

“Girls! Breakfast is ready!” my mother called from downstairs in the kitchen. I grunted angrily and rolled over wanting to fall back asleep. I was now facing Lina’s sleeping body. We shared my queen size bed so neither of us had to sleep on the floor. I couldn’t help but laugh as Lina’s long, slightly poofy, brown hair made basically an afro around her head.

“Melina, time to wake up,” I whispered while gently shaking her arm. She still laid there basically lifeless. “Melina!” I shouted in her face. She screamed out of fear, rolled over trying to get away from my yelling, and fell of the side of the bed. After landing on the ground with thud, Lina just glared at me. “Good morning, sunshine!” I smiled and rolled out of bed. I decided to go downstairs in just my pj’s; blue shorts and a white tank top. “Breakfast time! Let’s go.”

The second we stepped in the kitchen, my brother saw us and he started to laugh. I guessed it was at Melina’s hair so I just decided to ignore him. I grabbed a stack of pancakes that was waiting for on the counter before making my way over to the table. Melina slapped the back of Andrew’s head before also picking up a plate of pancakes and joined me at the table.

“Melissa,” my father greeted me upon entering the house with the newspaper and his daily dose of Starbucks in hand. “Don’t forget about your audition at noon.” I can’t believe I forgot. This is what I came to LA for! I can’t wait; this is going to be great.

“Audition?” Melina questioned. I can’t believe I haven’t told her about this. She must be hurt. I would be if I was in her position.

“Yep,” my brother answered before I got a chance to. “Lissa here is trying out to be a backup dancer in Miley Cyrus’ next music video.” Melina looked a little upset at first but then she genuinely smiled at me showing that just finding out now didn’t both her that much.

“That sounds like some much fun,” she laughed excitedly. “But isn’t Miley like a complete snot?”

“That’s what I said when my dad told me about this audition. He talked me into ‘not reading a book by its cover’, I still think that she is completely fun of herself, just don’t tell my dad,” I told her and took a huge mouthful of my pancakes drenched in syrup. “I’m just using this as like a trial run so I know what its like to audition. So I know what is going on for a part that I actually want. If I actually have to work with Miley, I’m pretty sure I will kill myself.”

“Oh yeah, Lissa,” my brother commented. “That sounds like such a good plan.” Sarcasm was dripping all over his voice.

“No one asked you, Andrew,” I replied and rolled my eyes. Melina couldn’t help but laugh as my brother and I argue. “You have to help me pick out an outfit!” I told her and we both jumped from spots at the table and scurried upstairs.

“You have to clean…” Andrew started to yell at me for not clearing the dishes off the table before leaving.

“Can you handle that, twinie?!” I yelled. “Thank!” I yelled once again before even giving him a chance to answer. I knew he was rolling his eyes without even needing to see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment